La Cygne, KS
19476 Robertson RD
LA CYGNE, KS 66040
The Kansas of Agriculture’s Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on January 6, 2020. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations the Family Cafe was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Kansas food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 9 violations were found.
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- The cook touched ready to eat toast with her bare hands while putting it on a plate (discarded).
- In the walk in cooler, a flat of raw shell eggs stored on top of an open box of packaged ready to eat margarine (moved). In a reach in cooler, a container of raw hamburger stored above a drawer holding packaged ready to eat chicken patties, coneys, and hot dogs (moved).
- Raw shell eggs were sitting out at room temperature with the ambient temperature being 69 degrees. The internal temperature of an egg was 58 degrees. The cook stated they were just set out (placed back into a cooler).
- In a reach in cooler, one bag of open, commercially prepared, ready to eat hot dogs not date marked. As per cook, they were opened last Saturday (dated).
- In the walk in cooler, hash browns stored in, and in direct contact with, non-food grade plastic containers.
- Fresh rodent droppings: five in the soda syrup cabinet and seven behind the mop sink by the wall (mixed with old droppings). As per the person in charge, they have a hired pest control service but it is not known what they do for rodents. No invoice was available for review. Pest control methods observed were unapproved D-Con and one mechanical trap in the walk in cooler.
- Unapproved D-Con rodent bait set out on a kitchen counter next to breads (discarded).
- Unapproved D-Con rodent bait set out in the kitchen on a counter, EPA number 3822-81 (discarded).
- Unapproved D-Con rodent bait set out in an open tray (discarded).
Abbreviations used by inspectors:
AVB- An Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB) is a backflow prevention device used in plumbing to prevent backflow of non-potable liquids into the drinking water system
BOH- Back of the House
CFSM- Certified Food Safety Manager
COS- Corrected on-site during inspection
FCS- Food contact surface
PHF- Potentially Hazardous Foods
RIC- Reach in cooler
RTE- Ready to Eat
WIC- Walk-in cooler