Red Brick Café
115 3rd ST
Madison, KS 66860
The Kansas Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on 2/27/2020. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations the Red Brick Café was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Kansas food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 5 violations were found.
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- There was a box of butter packets labeled keep refrigerated in a cabinet behind the bar with no refrigeration. PIC stated they had been there approximately two weeks. COS by voluntarily discarding.
- A prepared on site chocolate cream pie was in the kitchen RIC with a marked date of 2/16. COS by VD.
- There was no consumer advisory present for when eggs are served. PIC stated that they would print one and place it on the wall in the dining area.
- There were two sticky traps on the kitchen floor with 4 live cockroaches on them. There were seven sticky traps in the kitchen area. PIC stated that they treat the facility themselves with chemicals purchased on the internet. No chemicals were available on site. There is no scheduled service with a licensed pest control company.
- There was a packet of soft cleanser chemical cleaner sitting in contact with RTE syrup on a tray in the kitchen. COS by moving the cleaner.
Abbreviations used by inspectors:
AVB- An Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB) is a backflow prevention device used in plumbing to prevent backflow of non-potable liquids into the drinking water system
BOH- Back of the House
CFSM- Certified Food Safety Manager
COS- Corrected on-site during inspection
FCS- Food contact surface
PHF- Potentially Hazardous Foods
RIC- Reach in cooler
RTE- Ready to Eat
WIC- Walk-in cooler